(Australian Associated Press)
It’s no secret Australians love to travel – and now there’s proof.
A TripAdvisor study of 44,000 travellers has found Aussies will spend more on travel than any other nationality next year.
The average Australian holiday budget leads the pack at $A15,000, more than double the global average.
Swiss tourists in comparison will spend $A13,900 over the course of the year, while American and British holidaymakers will both spend less than $A12,000.
“Almost half of Australian travellers will be spending more money on travel in 2016,” said a TripAdvisor spokesman.
“They feel that they and their family deserve it.
“One in three travellers will also spend more because they believe travel is important for their health and wellbeing.”
The report showed longer trips and new experiences are on the cards for Australians in the coming year, with solo travel and cruises growing in popularity.
More than four in five millennials said they were keen to visit a new destination in 2016.
“Vacations are a welcome break from the routine,” said the spokesman.
“The appetite to discover new destinations and travel further are key drivers for increased travel budgets.”
The report also found travellers now consider smartphones their most essential travel companion, with 68 per cent saying they won’t travel without one.
Despite this, air-conditioning – and not Wi-Fi – was considered the number one hotel ‘deal-breaker’.
AUSTRALIAN TRAVELLERS IN 2016
* Average travel budget of $A15,000, more than double the global average
* Nearly half intend to enjoy longer holiday breaks
* 68 per cent will not holiday without their smartphones
* 69 per cent of global travellers and 82 per cent of millennials want to experience ‘something new’
* 17 per cent of global travellers will travel alone for the first time
* One in five global travellers have visited a place because they’ve seen it on television.